Pressure Cookers are one of the most essential items in the Indian Kitchen. You need them for making Lentil Soup, Curries and almost everything. You can also make amazing idli’s and cakes with help of pressure cookers but do you know that there are electrical pressure cookers available in India as well?
They had been quite popular in the west but they were not as popular in India until the last few years. Presently, they have gained a lot of popularity and what sets them apart is their efficiency. That is right, electrical pressure cookers are much more efficient than the regular pressure cookers.
A lot of people are confused and they doubt if they really need the pressure cooker but the fact is that there are several advantages to the pressure cooker. Most importantly, they can cut your cooking time to just 30% of what you would need earliest.
The main reason why this happens is that the pressure cookers use a combination of pressure and heat which cooks the food easily. For example, if you need to boil potatoes, doing that in a pressure cooker would be much quicker than boiling potatoes in a vessel.
With many advantages, it certainly makes a lot of sense to invest in a good pressure cooker but it can be confusing to choose the right model because of innumerable brands and options available in the market.
To help you with the purchase, we reviewed some of the pressure cookers and we decided to come up with a list of best pressure cookers available in India.
Best Buy Electric Pressure Cookers in India
Here are the top 6 best electric pressure cookers available in India.
1. Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker
The first model on our list is from Mealthy and this is a 9 in one appliance. You can use this as a pressure cooker, to sauté the food items, to steam, to make cakes, to pasteurize, to cook rice, for slow cooking, to make yogurt and to keep the food war.
This model can also help you in making two dishes at once as it also comes with stainless steel basked along with a pressure cooker pot. In the package, you get an extra silicone gasket along with other accessories like a measuring cup silicone mitts and all other required things.
The total capacity of this cooker is 6 Liters and it is enough for a family of 2 to 3 members. The material used here is chromium steel and it is certainly a safe and durable option for you. This is certainly a model where it is worth investing money in.
- 9 Programmable options available
- 6 months warranty offered by the manufacturer.
- It comes with a capacity of 6 Liters.
2. Preethi Touch EPC005 6-Liter Electric Pressure Cooker
The next one in our list is from Preethi and this pressure cooker is 5 in 1 model. It offers quite a versatility to you as you can use this as a rice cooker, sauté pan, steamer and even as a warmer. The best part is that you can choose between a manual and an automatic mode here.
There is an option of the menu on the main panel where you can select what you are cooking and then you can leave the rest on the pressure cooker. In total, there are 15 pre-programmed dishes in this pressure cooker.
Also, in terms of safety, the pressure cooker stands at the top level since there are a total of 9 safety levels which can be used to control the temperature, pressure and power. Another unique feature regarding this pressure cooker is that you can set up a delay timer which varies between 30 minutes to 8 hours.
In the pack, you also get measuring cup, ladle scoop spatula and a flat spatula.
- Has a total capacity of 6 Liters and lets you cook in open as well as closed modes
- Comes with a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer
- Power consumption is 1000 watts
3. Usha (3650) 5L Electric Pressure Cooker
Usha is a renowned brand when it comes to kitchen equipment. This pressure cooker at number 3 is from Usha and the material that this is made up of is stainless steel.
Again, this pressure cooker also offers multiple applications to you so you can use this for sautéing, steaming, boiling and all other such functions.
Apart from this, you get as many as 100 safety features in this pressure cooker. Yes, there are no pre-programmed options but the pressure cooker has an automatic pressure maintenance system that regulates the pressure while you are cooking. Also, this is one such product which comes with a maximum amount of warranty.
As per the information available, you get 2 years of warranty on the product which is certainly best in class. In the package, you get a metal spoon, measuring cup and a soup spoon as well. The manufacturer also provides a recipe booklet that can help you in making the best use of Electric Pressure Cooker.
- Has a total capacity of 5 Liters and power consumption is 900 watts
- Comes with 2 years warranty and is also equipped with 10 safety features
- It has as many as 10 different cooking functions which can be of great help in the kitchen.
4. Panasonic SR-WA10 450-Watt Automatic Cooker
If you are looking for a basic pressure cooker that provides just enough utility to cook the rice or idli’s then this could be the perfect model for you.
It is affordable and at the same time, it provides very basic functionality to you. This is also a perfect option for bachelors as the total capacity of the cooker is 2.7 Liters. You can use this to even boil potatoes and steam vegetables.
The brand is also very reliable and a lot of people prefer this over the other models since it is a lot cheaper. Also, the brand offers a total warranty of 2 years on this product.
Another good part about this automatic cooker is that the nutrients in the food are not washed out. It helps the food in retaining those nutrients as well as helps in getting perfectly cooked wood.
- Has a total capacity of 2.7 Liters and is capable of cooking half Kg of raw rice.
- It has a power consumption of 500 watts and it also comes with a scoop holder.
- This model comes with a keep warm feature as well.
5. Redmond Digital Pressure Smart Multicooker
If you are looking for something that offers a lot of flexibility to you but if you are still not able to find the perfect electric pressure cooker then you must have a look at this pressure cooker.
This one can help you in frying the food, steaming the food, making soup, boiling the food, making dessert, making lentil soup, making oatmeal, making stew and at last, it can also help you with making. In all, there are 6 programmable features that are associated with this pressure cooker.
Apart from the features listed above, you also get a keep-warm function in this pressure cooker which can keep the food warm for a maximum period of 8 hours. This feature is complemented by an 8-hour delay timer.
There are many safety mechanisms on this pressure cooker and you also get several different accessories in the box when you purchase this electric pressure cooker from Redmond. The pressure cooker is good enough for deep frying or shallow frying but not suitable for pressure frying.
- It has a total capacity of 5 Liters and the total power rating is 900 watts.
- It comes with a total of 24-month warranty which is applicable to any manufacturing defect.
6. Elica Electric Pressure Cooker
This is the last model in our list and it comes with several digital functions. To begin with, it offers 7 different programmable modes which include pressure cooking, rice cooking, steaming, sauté, yogurt making, slow cooking and warming.
In terms of capacity, the total capacity here is 6 Liters and it is loaded with several other features. For example, you get a technology that integrates microchips to control the humidity, time and pressure while cooking. All these are quite important factors when you are cooking.
Elica also offers delay cooking here which can help you in setting a delay time for anything between 30 minutes to 24 hours. As far as safety is concerned, it is one of the safest models available in the market as it has as many as 7 safety features integrated into just 1 single module.
Overall, this pressure cooker can become an integral part of your kitchen once you start using it.
- Has a capacity of 6 liters and is good enough for a family of 2 to 3 members
- This model is highly efficient and can save up to 40% of electricity.
- It comes with 7 safety features like an anti-clog cap, thermostat, thermal fuse, pressure release device, pressure limit valve and several other such features.
Why Choose Electric Pressure Cooker?
We are assuming that you are already aware of the advantages of using the pressure cooker. For example, the pressure cooker can help you in cutting down the cooking time to just 30% of the original time needed. In addition to this, the pressure cooker makes the food tastier and it also helps in ensuring that the nutrients do not escape the food. These were the advantages of the traditional pressure cooker that everyone is aware of but the electric pressure cooker has some added advantage. Let us look at some of these now
- The first advantage of the electric pressure cooker is that it is cheaper to operate. You are using electricity to operate electric pressure cooker and hence it is cheaper when compared to the regular LPG
- The second point is that you do not need to have an LPG connection in such a case. You can use an induction cooktop for the rest of the items and also purchase an electric pressure cooker for the rest of the things.
- Electric Pressure cookers are much safer and they come with as many as 10 safety mechanisms. This is something missing in the traditional pressure cookers.
- The heat transfer is direct since the electrical heating element directly transfers the heat to the pressure cooker. This means that the efficiency of the electric pressure cooker is higher as there is no heat loss in the form of flame.
- Electric pressure cookers are also programmable. You can choose between different programmable options and cook the food as you like it.
- They offer a higher degree of flexibility and in addition to this, these pressure cookers can also function as a steamer.
Things to Look for While Buying Electric Pressure Cooker
Below are some of the factors that you need to consider while purchasing the electric pressure cooker. These will help you in ensuring that you choose the right model which offers optimal utility.
The first thing to consider is the size of the pressure cooker. The capacity is available in liters and you can choose it as per your needs. Generally, a 4 to 5 L capacity is enough for a couple and for a family of 4, you would need around 8 to 9 L
The next thing to consider is the material that the pressure cooker is made of. The usual choice includes stainless The steel is durable and it can withstand high temperature as well.
3. Pressure Indicator & Quick Release
Ensure that the pressure cooker you are purchasing has an accurate pressure indicator. In addition to this, the pressure cooker must also have quick release options that can help you in a release pressure with ease.
4. Pressure Levels
Check for the pressure levels that the pressure cooker is rated for. The maximum pressure level is what the pressure cooker will reach to and it is quite an important thing to check before you invest in the pressure cooker.
5. Programmable Options
You can check for the different programmable options available. They can make cooking easy for you and it will also reduce the monitoring efforts that are required by you.
6. Safety Features
It is one of the most important aspects of purchasing the pressure cooker and hence check for the safety features available. Some of the usual ones include a lid close detection system, gas detector, temperature monitor, safety pressure release and other such features/
It is always better to avoid purchasing the non-stick pressure cookers. They are not very durable as the Teflon coating which makes the pressure cooker non-stick can’t withstand such high amount of heat. Better to go for the non-non-stick pressure cookers.
8. Warranty& Price
Check for the warranty and the price of the pressure cooker as well. Warranty is quite important as it will protect your purchase and at the same time, ensure that the price falls within budget as well.
Electric Pressure Cooker Safety Tips
A lot of people are scared of using a pressure cooker but honestly, there is nothing to be scared about. Today, the pressure cooker is loaded with many safety features which can prove to be of great help. To help you further, we have listed some of the safety tips for using the electric pressure cooker.
- It is always better to check the pressure cooker before cooking. You must check the gaskets and ensure that there are no cracks on gasket or pressure cooker. Also, ensure that the rim is clean and shiny without any residue.
- Next thing is to ensure that there is an optimal amount of food and liquid in a pressure Do not overfill the pressure cooker with food or water and at the same time, ensure that you add enough liquid to the pressure cooker as well. Remember that food like beans and rice can swell up during the cooking process.
- Do not use a pressure cooker for pressure frying the food. This is very dangerous and it can lead to accidents. Most of the pressure cookers are not meant for this kind of usage.
- Use a quick-release option to release the pressure after cooking. Do not try and open the lid without release the pressure from the pressure cooker. You can also leave the pressure cooker ideally and wait for the natural release but we would still recommend you use safety release.
To conclude, we can say that you can be dependent on Electrical Pressure Cookers since they are efficient and easy to use as well. In most of the places in India, the power supply is also not an issue and hence electric pressure cooker can be an efficient and smart choice for the kitchen.
While purchasing, just ensure that you check out the buying guide and you know what you need. This will help you in making the purchase easy for you and finding the right deal as well.
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Electric Pressure Cookers in India
- Why Choose Electric Pressure Cooker?
- Things to Look for While Buying Electric Pressure Cooker
- Electric Pressure Cooker Safety Tips
- Final Words