Making cake in a pressure cooker is no rocket science. Since earlier days, people have used our very own pressure cookers for baking different types and varieties of cakes. This was one of the most desired ways of cooking and baking a cake before the ovens and other devices were introduced. It is quite simple to bake a cake in a pressure cooker if you have the basic recipe handy.
In this article, we shall see ways of cooking a basic cake in a pressure cooker – the ingredients required and steps that need to be followed.
The following ingredients are required to make a cake in a pressure cooker:
- One and a half cup of all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Half cup oil and sugar respectively
- One cup of milk
- Two tablespoons of vanilla extract
- One and a half tablespoon of vinegar
- A few grams of chocolate, if you would like
- To begin with, you have to grease the bottom of the tray in which you aim to make the cake.
- Some salt needs to be added at the bottom of the pressure cooker
- A ring needs to be put on top of that and the cooker needs to be heated in medium to low heat for a few minutes.
- Next, you have to prepare the batter
- For that, you need to mix milk, sugar, vinegar, as well as vanilla in a bowl. This mixture needs to be stirred extremely well
- This is the dry mixture and you have to sieve this and place it in another bowl after adding flour, sugar, as well as baking soda
- You have to mix the batter quite well before you pour the same into a pan and then add milk into the same. Adding of milk just adds a good golden color into the cake and that is how it is ready to go
- The tray needs to be placed inside the cooker and the cooker has to be covered with the help of the lid of the pressure cooker
- The baking has thus started, and you need to wait for around 50 to 60 minutes before taking the cake out
- After the given time, you should not take the cake out instantly. You should check whether the cake is baked or not. For this purpose, you should insert a knife or a spoon in the middle of the cake and if the same comes out neatly, you should understand that the cake is baked.
- After the same is baked, the tray needs to be cooled for around 15 to 20 minutes and post that, you can invert the tray to take the cake out.
This is how a cake can easily be baked in a pressure cooker
If you are also looking forward to frosting the cake, the following additional steps can be taken for doing so:
- Water needs to be put into a vessel and the same should be heated for a few minutes till the time the water level reaches half of its original quantity.
- Another vessel needs to be placed on this hot water pot in such a way that the base of the vessel touches the hot water
- The chocolate which was taken for frosting needs to be kept in the second vessel touching the hot water in such a manner that the chocolate melts completely. The chocolate should become smooth as well
- You need to apply the frosting only after the chocolate thus melted have completely cooled down
- The same needs to be spread over the cooked cake. You can use a spatula to spread the chocolate in an even manner.
Please note that the above is a recipe for making a basic cake in a pressure cooker. You can similarly make different varieties of cake in a pressure cooker.
Check how to make a chocolate cake in the pressure cooker in the following video:
Tips to be Followed:
When you are preparing a cake in a pressure cooker, do remember to follow a few simple tips as follows:
- While mixing the flour, unsalted butter can be used along with a pinch of salt
- A neutral-flavored oil can be used too
- Ghee can act as a good substitute for butter
- Remember to never take a cake out from the tray while it is hot
- Frosting should also not be done while your cake is too hot
Thus, as is clear from the above article, it is quite easy and basic to make a cake in a pressure cooker. Once you get a hang over this, different types of cake can be baked or cooked in a similar fashion. Also, see the list of the best pressure cookers in India. You can also learn how to properly clean your cooker after making delicious cakes in this article.