A pressure cooker is the need of every Indian kitchen; you can easily found it in any home in India. Not many are aware that pressure cookers can be used for making a number of recipes. The following is a list of the top 10 recipes that can be made in a pressure cooker.
1. Pav Bhaji
Can you believe that your favorite pav bhaji can be made in a pressure cooker? Well, believe it to be true as you can get a world-class taste of your favorite snack by cooking it in a pressure cooker.
- You can raid your fridge for different types of vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, cabbage, beans, cauliflower, radish, and other vegetables.
- You will also require small quantities of ginger and garlic too
- Onion and tomato paste
- Few cut green chilies
- Freshly cut coriander and lemon
- Different spices such as salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, etc.
- The first step is to roughly chop all the vegetables.
- Post that, switch on the flame of the gas and heat some butter in a pressure cooker. Put some cumin seeds till the seeds start sizzling
- Post that put some onions till they become a little translucent
- Add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, etc.
- Add capsicum and tomatoes at this stage.
- Add all the spices such as salt and turmeric powder. All the cut vegetables are to be now added, along with water.
- The pressure cooker is to be covered until it gives away four to five whistles. Once the lid is opened, all you need to do is add butter and pav bhaji masala.
In just a matter of fifteen to twenty minutes, your delicious pav bhaji is ready.
2. Paneer Biryani
- Take some curd in a bowl and mix the same well. Post that, you need to add all the spices such as salt, chili powder, etc. and paneer cubes. This needs to be kept aside for a few minutes time
- For the rice, take some rice and wash the same well. Soak the same in water and keep it for around 30 minutes’ time. Once you have drained all the water out, you need to add some ghee and salt to it
- A small quantity of saffron needs to be soaked in warm water
- Take the pressure cooker and add ghee. After some time, add jeera and all the garam masalas such as cinnamon, tej patta and the likes
- Add some onions and after they have been cooked for some time, take them out and keep them aside.
- In the pressure cooker, put some onions, the paneer marinade and rice. Put some water and cover with the lid.
- Let it cook for 20 to 25 minutes and your paneer biryani is ready.
3. Carrot Halwa
One of the most loved desserts by Indians can also be prepared in a pressure cooker.
- Add some ghee in a pressure cooker and after some time, add grated carrots. Let the same sauté for a few minutes.
- Post this, add some milk and dates. Close the lid and let it cook till you get two to three whistles
- After you have opened the lid, you need to add a quarter cup of milk, cardamom powder. Heat the same for around a couple of minutes or so. Your sugar-free yet delicious carrot halwa is ready to eat
If you do not like the sugar-free variety, you can also add sugar as per taste in the above preparation
4. Rajma Masala
- Take a pressure cooker and add some ghee, butter or oil.
- After a while, add cumin seeds and let them sprinkle. Post that, add some green chilies, cut onions and tomatoes.
- Once the above are sautéed enough, you should add ginger-garlic paste and garam masala such as cinnamon, cardamom and others.
- Add the important spices such as salt, turmeric powder, and the others.
- After a while, you can add the rajma or kidney beans which have been soaked in water overnight. Put some water and close the pressure cooker.
- After a few whistles, your rajma masala is almost ready. You can now add some garam masala powder and a few other spices. Also, sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves.
5. Dal Fry
Another pressure cooker recipe that is really popular in India is the dal fry. This is actually a very simple preparation too.
- Cut some onions, green chilies, tomatoes, a pinch of ginger, and keep the same aside
- Take some ghee or oil in the pressure cooker and let it remain there for some time
- Post that, add cumin seeds and let it remain till the time they begin to splutter. Once that happens, you can add the green chili and the ginger
- Add tomatoes and after a while also add the onion
- After sautéing the same for a little while, add salt and other spices like turmeric powder, and others.
- Add the dal which you must have soaked for a little while and kept aside. Add the dal in the pressure cooker and pour water
- Let it cook for a while until the cooker has given away three to four whistles.
- Garnish the dish with freshly chopped coriander and the dal is now ready
6. Moong Dal Khichdi
If you are willing to have something light on a particular day, the moong dal khichdi is your go-to dish. Let us see how to prepare the same in a pressure cooker.
- Soak some moong dal in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Similarly, also soak some rice in a similar manner
- Take the pressure cooker and add some ghee
- If you want, you can also add different vegetables of your choice such as beans, carrots, and the likes
- Add the moong dal and rice to the cooker. Also add some water, salt and turmeric powder
- Cover the cooker and let it remain on the flame for 10 to 15 minutes.
In no time, the moong dal khichdi is ready.
7. Vegetable and other Soups
You can make a lot of different varieties of soup in just a few minutes’ time if you use a pressure cooker to cook the same.
All you need to do is take all the vegetables of your choice and cut the same roughly. Vegetables may include different varieties such as tomatoes, carrots, beans, peas, radish, beetroot, and several other varieties. Put them all together after a proper wash, add salt as well as a pinch of peppercorn. Add water and cover the lid of the pressure cooker. Leave it for some time and your delicious soup shall be ready in a matter of minutes.
8. Eggless Chocolate Cake
- A cup of all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt and a few grams of sugar
- Half a cup of oil and water
- Half a cup of cocoa powder, a small cup of butter
- Water, baking soda, and vinegar
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl
- Mix cocoa powder, butter, and oil in a pan and keep the same on a low flame
- Bring the above to a boil and ensure that the cocoa mixture has dissolved well into the mixture
- Take a pressure cooker and sprinkle some salt on the surface. Keep the same on a low flame
- Meanwhile, mix curd with water, vinegar, and baking soda. This needs to be then added to the chocolate mixture
- A greased pan or tray needs to be taken and the above mixture has to be poured on it.
- This then needs to be placed on a rack on the pressure cooker
- The same needs to be cooked for around 40 to 50 minutes. The pressure cooker cake is ready in a few minutes time
9. Chole Recipe
- Take your pressure cooker and add ghee or oil, as per your choice
- Add cumin seeds and other spices such as tej patta, cinnamon, cardamom, and the likes
- Let it sauté for a while, then add chopped tomatoes and onion paste
- You can also add ginger and garlic paste
- Add chole that you must have soaked overnight and added all the important spices such as salt, turmeric powder, chole masala, and others
- Add water and cover the lid. Put it on medium flame and wait till a few whistles
- After the steam is out from the pressure cooker, open the lid your chole will be cooked
10. Coconut Milk Rice
Take the pressure cooker and add some oil. After a while, add cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon sticks and others
Add some chopped onions and sauté the same. You can also add curry leaves
After the onions are done, add ginger, garlic, green chilies and stir the same for a while
Post that, add a few cashews and chopped mixed vegetables
After this, you should add the rice after rinsing and washing it appropriately with water. After the same has been done, take a small cup of coconut milk and add in the mixture. After mixing well, add water and cover the lid.
After a few whistles, your coconut rice milk is ready. You can also garnish with chopped coriander leaves.